Popular Post

Saturday, January 2, 2010

the best ayn rand description I've ever read

from the comment section from a post (inadvertently) about ayn rand on my celeb goss fave, ohnotheydidnt. this comment was a response to someone saying (in response to someone saying they weren't into the fact that this celeb said the fountainhead and atlas shrugged changed their life) "i haven't bothered to read any of her books or ~philosophies~...can someone explain why so many people seem to hate her?"

[info]stellarlullaby : Hopefully literary geniuses won't jump on me, but her philosophies amount to: If you aren't self-serving to the point of being a social outcast, you're fake. Charities isn't really worth it because charity isn't a "moral duty", people exist only for their own pleasure. Believe in nothing other than yourself, not government, not religion, nothing. Rational to the point where it's truly pedantic and stupid. FYI: They support the "Tea Party" movement and that the government shouldn't regulate anything, like even making sure medicine is safe and shit.

I always think it's stupid, I've read several of her books and it makes me a little upset each time. While I get that being an individual is important, but I think she takes it too far. She had some fucked up complex because she was Russian and her family was angry about having their wealth taken by commies (because they were well off while everyone around them was starving). In the end, she had a valid point that government shouldn't control speech like communist Russia, and while I understand why she left, I think she was one of those people who didn't understand a happy medium in government intervention.

Either way, I think she's a self-serving, bitter bitch and people who like her normally have no real view on life other than an incredibly sheltered one where they think her way of life would work. She's often reference by people who are argumentative and "unique" to the point of being asses. All the fans of her writing I've encountered have been the most aggravating, ignorant people, usually hipster kids trying to sound smart.

aynrand.org has more info on her.


that little crazy ruskie