Popular Post

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gil Scott Heron's Funeral Which Will Not Be Televised

Gil Scott Heron's Funeral Which Will Not Be Televised
As I listened Searchers Chuck Brown and the soul of the night while surfing the web, I discovered that Gil Scott Heron was dead. Garza has always been an underrated musician, poet, and the griot culture. Back in college, I was a protester, forcefully attacking the injustice of how some of my classmates vigorously attacked organic chemistry.

I was a regular at the Shrine of the Black Madonna Bookstore, where for the first time in my life, I had the opportunity to receive actual copies of the black protest literature frequently mentioned by some adults back in my hometown. I offered my choice of clothes, I connect directly to the sixties, at least in my mind, jackets my own father had brought back to his days in college.

And then one day my friend from New Orleans asked if I had never heard of Gil Scott Heron. I do not remember how I respond to, or what I looked like when I responded, but the face of the obvious my friend was one of disbelief. "All this, mind you, and you do not know who is Gil Scott Heron?"

A day or two later it is the tape of his older brothers had done for him and invited me to his room to check the revolution will not be on television.